Wednesday, October 26, 2011

We walked the streets of New York... And survived!

Day one is complete!!!


Quick run down of one of the best days of our lives (as well as Deb's birthday!!!):


1 - The flight this morning was quick and easy. Baggage competition ended up to be - 1: Heidi 44 lbs 2: Sarah 53 lbs 3: Megan 57 lbs (yes, despite weighing my suitcase at home and literally cutting my clothing choices in half, I STILL went over by seven pounds... It was a near crisis.)  As we entered La Guardia, this poster was our welcoming committee (we were hoping for someone carrying a placard with our names on it but knew that was too good to be true!):






2 - We checked into our hotel on Staten Island. The decorations are magnificent (carousel horses all over!) :) After a brief getting ready period, it was off to the races.  The hotel provides a free shuttle for us to take to the Staten Island Ferry.  When we arrived at the ferry station, I experienced my first taste of what New Yorker attitudes are REALLY like.  We were trying to ensure that we were getting on the correct ferry so I decided to stop a gentleman who I presumed to be a security guard.  Upon calling out sir and tapping on his shoulder, I was immediately given the cold shoulder.  After he grudgingly answered my question, he walked away without looking me in the face. It was such a contrast to any interactions you would have with a stranger in Minnesota!  We were able to figure out which gate to use and jumped on the ferry.  Since Sarah and Heidi haven't been to New York, they were infatuated with the Statue of Liberty :)











3 - After we arrived in Manhattan, it was a hunt to get our Metro tickets for the subway.  After a bit of chaos trying to get unlimited tickets for us girls, we were on our way to Broadway.  We had to pick up our tickets before 5:30 and literally RAN through the streets to make it before they closed. I used to think my older brother walked quickly until I've walked with Deb and Heidi on a mission. After we finally retrieved our tickets (not without Shelly and I almost getting run over by taxi drivers first), it was time for some grub; we were STARVING! Deb suggested eating at Roxy's in Times Square which was fabulous.  Although we didn't see anyone famous there, we're determined to find someone yet!




4 - Finally, we were at our show, Jersey Boys. It was absolutely amazing!  At first I was hesitant about going because I didn't know the story line and thought I wouldn't know any of the songs. I was quickly corrected.  The plot is about the formation of the original group "Four Seasons" as well as "Franki Valli and the Four Seasons."  You may not think you know who they are, but check out this YouTube video, you'd be surprised!  Even us young girls knew the music and were jamming out and enjoying themselves!


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN1f2y8wbx4


Overall, it was a hectic day, but extremely enjoyable.  Now that we got our feet wet, it's just a matter of mastering the subway so we don't look like newbies and jumping into our classrooms tomorrow!  Heidi will share more about that later :) Thanks for following!


-Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment