Tuesday, November 8, 2011

BEAUTIFUL tuesday in NY!

Happy Tuesday! Hope everyone's start to the week is going well. We are all having such a fabulous time in NY! Today was such a beautiful day here! The sun was out, and it wasn't too cold, or too hot. It was one of those perfect temperatures. Luckily we all got to go outside and enjoy it for a little bit with our classes.  I wore a coat to school today and I felt a little silly doing so since it was nice out. I think it mayb be because I am walking outside more than when I am at home.
Anyways about our tuesday:
Today I taught my first lesson to my 4th graders in Reading. Since it was my first one with this group, I was a little bit nervous. The focus of the lesson was looking at characters actions and using those actions as a way to better understand the character. So for example if I am reading a story, and the character is stomping, yelling, and scowling then I could say that this character is mad about something. I first read a passage in our read aloud book, The Wright Three (Which is a great book by the way, I highly recommend it), and I modeled for them looking at the actions of a character and trying to better understand the character from those actions. Then I read another passage, and then had the students practice what I did.  After that, they did a little reflecting in their reading notebooks and then shared with their reading partnership buddy. Overall, I think the lesson went well, obviously there are some things to improve on, but I feel good about the lesson, and I am excited and loving teaching again!

After school today, we had first all school faculty meeting. For us, this was the first time that we were able to see alot of the middle and high year program teachers. This was interesting for us to be a part of. The 45 minutes was filled with admistrative happenings, and at the end the technology presented about some ideas for incorporating technology in the classroom. We thought this was very cool and beneficial for us not only now during student teaching but also when we have our own classrooms as well.  We like that we are able to be included in faculty meetings, because it only helps us learn more about the IB program and the Dwight School.

Recently, we have been finding that is has been difficult to get a shuttle in the afternoons after school has ended before about 8pm. Well sometimes this works for us if we are going somewhere or getting dinner. Today we decided to head back right after our faculty meeting. Since we couldn't get a shuttle, we have been taking the bus. It has been a very interesting experience, and we have encountered some interesting people on our travels. It is also nice to ride the bus because then we can see more of Staten Island, which has been nice.
Tomorrow is a very exciting day because my parents will be arriving! I am very excited to see them and spend some time with them in NYC! I'm sure we will all have a great time :)

Well thats it for today, tomorrow Megan will be blogging so make sure to check back!

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment