Monday, November 28, 2011

How lucky are we?

The longer I have been out here with the girls I have realized more and more just how lucky and privileged I am to be in New York of all places! Obviously it's great to go see all the places in the wonderful city, have warm weather, but the true reason we are out here is to be at the school teaching the kids, learning from the kids and teachers. Each and everyday is something different and I'm starting to realize there is more of a difference in this IB school compared to public schools back in Minnesota. I love that the students are coming up with their own areas to learn about. All we do as teachers is give a main topic and literally the students take it from there. The students are the ones making their own observations that will then lead into a discussion in math or reading. You name it they are able to find the connections. Instead of us just directly teaching the students from the book everyday we help facilitate the learning. The main thing I have noticed myself doing more is asking the "why" questions. Not only is this helping the students start discussion and learning it is also allowing me to learn myself on how I can help the students more. I can't wait to go back to Gustavus and let my other education friends hear about this experience. I wonder how my first seven week experience would have gone if I knew and understood the idea of facilitating rather then direct teaching. Things could have gone completely different - for the better. I am very excited to continue learning more with the experience I have been given and am so lucky to have had this chance to come to New York and learn. I also am very excited to finalize papers to turn in to apply to the Dwight School in Korea!! Hopefully I can take what I have learned here and bring it with to Korea!    

Tomorrow from 5-6:30 is the PYP presentation for all the parents. It allows the parents to learn what exactly takes place at school and for what reasons. Why is the IB program so well designed? I'm excited to go to this because I feel it will benefit me greatly!

I'll keep you updated!
-Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment