Friday, November 18, 2011

Nap/ Movie Time on a Friday Afternoon? Yes Please!

.






Hey all! Happy Friday! It has been another good day at Dwight for all of us
Today my class began their morning with reading buddies. This means that the fourth graders are partnered with 1 or 2 first grade students and they read together, sometimes taking turns on the reading. It was so fun to walk around and listen to the 4th graders reading, or the first graders reading. I was so impressed by how engaged the students were during this activity. The room was relatively quiet except for the soft murmur of reading aloud. I think this is such a great thing that the 4th and 1st graders do. It allows them to get to know students from another grade and practice reading! It's definitley a win-win situation. Megan's 3rd graders also have reading buddies except they are in kindergarten.
Up above are some pictures I took during this tine.
After reading buddies we did our weekly check ins! I find it very interesting that they do not use the terms test or quiz here. They are called check ins. I wonder why that would be. I am thinking that maybe they do it so that the students dont get stressed out about the check in, maybe hearing the word test or quiz creates some type of anxiety with the students. I think that I will consider using this term when I have my own classroom, because I do like using that word as opposed to test or quiz.I also wonder if using check in as a way to reference a test or quiz is just a Dwight thing, or IB thing. This would be something interesting to find out.
 After the student's check ins the students went to P.E. During this time my teachers and I spent some time planning for the coming week and the week after thanksgiving as well. The rest of the day consisted of Math, Park, Read A Loud, Lunch, Music and thennnn Nap/ Movie Time :)


You may be wondering why my students got nap/ move time. Let me first assure you that this doesn't happen every week. What happens instead is the students work towards earning a star at the end of each day. When they reach certain amount of stars (I think its 15), the students pick out a reward. There are only 2 conditions 1. it can be something that the teachers have to buy/ use money for and 2. It cant have anything to do with food. I like these two conditions because I think often times rewards are seen as pizza parties, candy, and other things and with these types of rewards many students lack the intrinsic motivation to really stick with something (behavior included). I also like that the students get to choose their reward, because then I think it means more to them.   I again think I will tuck this away in my teacher strategies pocket and  make sure to come back to it another time.
Here are some pictures from our little reward party:


In Case you are wondering- we watched Tangled! Such a wonderful movie and
of course the students loved it :)


After school- we headed to Times Square (my second friday going, I went last Friday with my parents and Heidi as well)
Anyway, once we got to Times Square we walked over to OLIVE GARDEN! yum! I had a big craving for this, so I was pumped we were going! Our food was delicious and we had great discussion about how the week went, and improvements that we need to work on in the coming weeks.
We were all stuffed after dinner, so we headed back to the hotel and have been here ever since.
As I am typing this heidi is asleep, and megan is almost asleep.
Needless to say, we are exhausted after our long week and are excited to have the opportunity to sleep a little longer tomorrow morning :)


Be sure to check back tomorrow and see what exciting Saturday Adventures we have!
Adios for now!


-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment